Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Double-Edged Sword

     Some months ago a good friend of mine added me to a couple of those Facebook OCD support groups and discussion pages. I left the groups as soon as I was added to them. Then I sort of felt like a snobby jerk for not wanting to be part of a group whose main purpose is to provide a support network for people just like me who live with OCD.
      I also avoid those online OCD discussion forums, unless I just want to check and make sure that someone else is dealing with the same weird new obsession that I may have developed, which isn't often these days. (I do that because if someone else is experiencing the same types of intrusive thoughts, that means it's more likely to be treatable than just a fluke that no one is going to know how to deal with.) After I find a post like that, I immediately leave the group, and I don't go back. I also avoid those sections of Tumblr and all the other social websites out there. (I have, in the past, browsed the stigma tags on Tumblr to find information for a couple of blog posts, but that is the only reason I checked the mental health side of Tumblr.)
     I'm not avoiding the online support groups and discussion forums because I'm a snobby jerk or because I'm a loner who doesn't think she needs a support system. I avoid online support groups and discussion forums because my only observable compulsions are confession and reassurance seeking. (I have stopped confessing and seeking reassurance, but I still have to put quite a bit of effort into it every time I'm troubled by intrusive thoughts.)
     In theory, I like online support groups and discussion forums. In theory, online support groups are a good place to share experiences and recovery stories or even tips and techniques you may have learned from therapy or self help books that other people might also find helpful. In practice, however, online support pages and discussion forums for mental health conditions like OCD can be a double-edged sword. Yes, the groups and discussion forums help people feel less alone and provide a distant support network. Those groups and forums also feed the OCD loop by providing some people with a way to confess and a pretty constant stream of reassurance that people often feel compelled to seek out. (I could so easily slip into being one of those people in an online support group or discussion forum.)
     Online support groups and online discussion forums can so quickly become a thing that feeds a person's reassurance seeking compulsion as well as the confession compulsion. I browsed a couple when I first got diagnosed with OCD, and pretty much all I saw were people pleading with the entire support group or discussion forum to reassure them that they weren't actually going to do whatever obsessive thing they were worried about or that their thoughts were only thoughts. No one likes to see their fellow humans suffer, so the people of the Internet would rush in with reassurance to make them feel better. The reassurance seeker might be fine for a few hours or a few days, but then they would come back asking for the same reassurances the group or forum provided before, which just feeds the OCD loop and made it worse.
      The people in the forums and the groups have no idea they're feeding someone's OCD loop when they provide reassurance, even if they have OCD themselves. They just want to help, like any decent human being that sees someone else suffering. So, I find it best to avoid those things altogether in order to maintain and continue my wellness.
    I used to do the same reassurance seeking with my mom (and anyone else I could get to talk to me whenever I was in the throes of OCD). When I figured out that the reassurance seeking was a compulsion I had to remind my mom over and over again not to give me any reassurance, and it was really hard for both of us because she didn't want to see me suffer like that. I had to just sit and deal with it, even if I had a panic attack. Eventually I was able to stop, but every time my intrusive thoughts get loud enough to bother me, I have to really work to not give in and call my mom at work to confess my intrusive thoughts and then get reassurance that I'm not an awful person.
      The problem with the online groups and discussion pages is that everyone on the Internet can just come in and make a post. You can't tell the whole Internet to stop giving you reassurance when you ask for it. Somebody is ALWAYS going to be online to feed that confession and reassurance compulsion, so the OCD loop is just going to keep circling and getting more and more severe as the OCD brain finds ways to out-logic the reassurances somebody just received from the group.
     I definitely don't want to discourage anyone from finding support in an online support group page or through an online discussion forum. I just want people to be wary of tumbling into a reassurance compulsion or of providing reassurance online and feeding someone else's OCD feedback loop. I know everyone (the OCD suffered and the reassurance provider) thinks that providing reassurance helps, but it honestly doesn't. It can make OCD  more severe in the long run.
     I'll end with this: Doing whatever you need to do to maintain and continue wellness isn't rude or snobby, and if that means avoiding certain people or websites/online chats that is okay. In theory online support groups and discussion forums are a great part of your support network, but in practice, we should all be more careful with how we use and sometimes abuse them. If you're one of those people that goes into the support pages/discussion forums seeking reassurance, I can agree with you that not getting the reassurance feels like the end of the world and it makes life hell for a while, but I can tell you that you can eventually get to a point where you can stop seeking reassurance if you work really hard at it over time. (Although, you might want to enlist the help of an OCD self help book, therapist, or a person you trust if you want to try that.)

No comments:

Post a Comment