Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Focusing on Love and Acceptance

     Since starting ERP again last week, my therapist and I have talked about the root of some of my religious obsessions, and a lot of the root of my problem seems to stem from the fact that my early religious training and religious dialogue were fear and guilt driven. My therapist has remarked time and time again that I carry around a lot of guilt for someone who is objectively considered to be a good person by most people. My other therapist called it the Catholic guilt, from my time in the Catholic Church. I don't care how you label it. All I care about is the fact that this guilt is heavy and that it plays a HUGE roll in the compulsive part of my disorder. I will do anything that I think might get that guilt off my chest so I can breathe. Hence, the compulsive praying for forgiveness and the reassurance seeking.
     My grandmother's main idea about her Baptist faith was that everything and pretty much everyone was bad on some level. Hellfire and brimstone everywhere all the time, throughout my formative years. Example: I was told I was going to send my soul to Hell around the age of 8 or so because an aunt had me repeat a curse word (to say that someone was pissing someone off), even though I was only doing as I was told by an older adult, even though I didn't mean the words. I was also told that certain sins were absolutely not forgivable. (My intrusive thoughts fell into that absolutely unforgivable category when I started to have intrusive thoughts.)
     In other words, my grandparents weren't big on the unconditional love idea and the idea that God accepts us as we are, in all our brokenness and darkness because God knows we are human and humans are far from perfect. As a result of that teaching, for years, I have carried around guilt about the idea that my OCD made me unacceptable and most definitely undeserving of unconditional love from God. I finally started to feel the guilt lessen when I started receiving treatment and I realized that I had a mental health condition that wasn't my fault, which also meant that the intrusive thoughts weren't my fault.
     Starting ERP has brought all those feelings back up. I knew that was a possibility, but I'm still surprised that it happened. I know that logically I am acceptable to God, but emotionally, I'm still in a place that is guilt-riddled, a place that still makes me feel unacceptable and undeserving. My therapist is actually having me work on that this week by visualizing that I am acceptable, and its more difficult than it sounds. I'm working it in to my meditation practice. I know my emotional brain will eventually catch up to the logical parts brain. I just have to redirect to focus on love and acceptance until that becomes the new pathway routed through my brain.
     I'll end with this: I never realized how much things from my early years could impact my mental health later in life. My early years planted the seeds for what would later turn out to be my first OCD obsession, so please, be mindful of the things you are saying to your children. I also didn't realize until today that I was still carrying around, buried somewhere, the feeling that my intrusive thoughts meant that I was probably the only person on the planet to which God's unconditional love and unfailing acceptance did not apply. I said it in my first post, and I'll say it again. If you're like me and you're worried that God doesn't love you because of something you've done, said, or thought, and you feel guilty, ashamed, and undeserving, please don't hold onto that. God's love is unconditional. God accepts us for who we are imperfect, broken, and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment