Wednesday, December 30, 2020

I'm Still Here

    I remember when I first started my weekly sessions with my current therapist. I remember how terrified I was, how hard life felt, and how hard it felt like I was fighting just to be functional ALL THE TIME. I would go to my appointment some days and cry through the entire session. I would tell her how weak I thought I was, how I wished I could be stronger, and express my worries about whether or not I'd be able to survive my OCD. Her response was always the same, "You've done a great job surviving so far. You're still here. So, that tells me that you can survive this time, too."

    At the time, I always felt like my therapist had more faith in me than I had in myself. I was so sure that she thought I was stronger than I actually was. I didn't understand how she could be so sure of my survival when I couldn't be sure. She was also so sure that I could get back to a higher level of functioning and be "better", even when I doubted that I'd ever get there. (That didn't mean I wouldn't work really hard. It just meant that I had my doubts, but that I'd do my best anyway in the hope that she was right.)

    A realization hit me the other night as I was trying to fall asleep. I'm still here, and my therapist was right. Another year is coming to an end, and I'm still here. Right now, I'm in the place in my life that my therapist repeatedly assured me that I could get to. I've made it to the place in my life that I doubted I'd ever see, the place I hoped for. I remember the times I prayed to reach this point, the point where I was no longer fighting so hard all the time just to be functional, the point where I no longer questioned my ability to survive against my own mind, where I felt like myself again. I'm there, right now. Realizing that feels weird in a good way. (Sure, I still have rough patches, but I no longer doubt my ability to survive them.) I just...needed to take a moment to acknowledge that progress and the hard work that went into it. 

    I'm not even just surviving anymore. I feel like I'm thriving more often than not. I feel like an actual person instead of a pit of darkness, anxiety, and despair clothed in human skin. I have sessions with my therapist every two weeks now instead of every week, and I feel good with that. (As in I don't feel like I NEED to talk to her every week to be okay.) I have friends, and I actually feel like I deserve them. I also don't feel like I need to keep people at a distance anymore to protect them, which is nice. (It's nice to let people in sometimes.) I got to experience having my dream job. I've reached "okay", and then I moseyed on past it to something more than just being okay. I feel...grateful to have made it this far, especially when I doubted that I could make it this far in the first place.

    I'll end with this: It's so easy when we live with mental illness to feel like we'll never get better, never be okay, and that we'll never feel like ourselves again. It's so easy to listen to our mental illness and start to believe that we're actually too weak and afraid to "win" against our own minds. It's easy to just want to give up. I've been there. Before anything could improve, I had to find the right therapist with the right therapeutic approach, and then I had to give it time to work. I had to trust my therapist. As much as I hate clichés, it actually does get better, I promise. You just have to still be here to give it a chance to get better. You're stronger than you think you are, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment