Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Road to Diagnosis

     The road to getting a correct diagnosis and getting the right kind of help for your mental health issue isn't always smooth, and it can feel overwhelming and scary if you don't know what to expect. It takes courage to make the decision to seek professional help when it comes to mental health. After I decided I needed to seek help, it took me a nearly a week to even call the counseling service because I was still afraid. I was afraid of the treatment process. I was afraid of being judged by everyone if they knew I needed counseling. I was afraid the therapist couldn't help me. I was even afraid of being institutionalized. (That last one is just one of my personal fears, and I knew it was unlikely). It's okay to feel scared and overwhelmed, just please, don't let fear keep you from asking for help, like it did with me for almost a decade.
     After you make the big decision comes the next step: getting a CORRECT diagnosis. I made an appointment for the same day I called the counseling service. I talked to a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. She just wanted to know about my symptoms and my family history. I told her about the intrusive thoughts, the shame and extreme guilt, and the panic attacks. She didn't mention the words crazy or insane because those words are not a diagnosis, and a counselor is only concerned with a clinical diagnosis so you can receive treatment.
     I left the center with a diagnosis of Panic Disorder, which I mentioned in my first post, and a large packet of information on Panic Disorder. I also left with appointments for counseling and medication. I read the packet of information twice on Panic Disorder. The second time I read the packet, (almost 3 months in to therapy), I realized that Panic Disorder wasn't explaining all of my symptoms. I kept feeling like something else was going on. I talked to my mom and my counselor about it. I even did research on my own because I thought I might just be working myself up for no reason, and I took my research to my therapist.
     I had been misdiagnosed. That was why the medication and the therapy weren't helping. As of October 2015, my therapist changed my primary diagnosis from Panic Disorder to Purely Obsessional Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, also referred to as Pure O. I got a new treatment plan, and we talked about different medication specifically for OCD, if I wanted to try medication at any point during my treatment. I chose not to try medication right now, but I'm open to the idea of medication if that's what I need to get better.
     The reason for my misdiagnosis is simple: a communication error. My counselor didn't ask the right questions, and she took responsibility for that. I also didn't volunteer other relevant information, like the fact that my management techniques for my intrusive thoughts and the resulting anxiety were actually mental compulsions (because I had no idea). I took responsibility for that. I haven't been getting better at managing the intrusive thoughts at all, and being treated for the wrong thing made the Pure O worse. I didn't know that Pure O even existed until this month, and I was a psychology major in college.
     I'll end with this: There is no shame in seeking professional help for mental health, even if that help includes medication. If you have the ability to see a counselor, make sure you tell them everything, no matter if you think it is relevant or not. If you have questions or concerns don't be afraid to voice them to the professional because helping you understand is part of their job.

No comments:

Post a Comment