Wednesday, March 2, 2016

If You Can't Afford a Therapist

     I saw this link someone shared on Facebook the other day mentioning free and very cheap resources for people when they can't afford to see a therapist, and I got pretty excited about it. I didn't know about a bunch of the stuff on the website's list, and I hadn't been aware that things for mental health services were free (aside from crisis hotlines). So, I did some digging, too, and I found a couple of other free resources to add to that list. (I'll post all the websites I used at the end of this blog post.)

1. Crisis Hotlines or Call Centers:
     I saw numbers listed for all sorts of call centers for everything from suicide prevention, OCD PTSD, domestic violence, to LGBT-related issues.
 The National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
 GLBT National Helpline: 1-888-843-4564
 GLBT National Helpline for Youth: 1-800-246-7743
 National Domestic Violence Helpline: 1-800-799-7223/LGBT: 1-800-832-1901
 National Eating Disorder Association Helpline: 1-800-931-2237
 Veterans Crisis Line (for veterans and their families): 1-800-237-8255
*This isn't the full list, so check out the website for more.

2. Mental Health Apps:
     I've really been looking at these apps for your smartphone, but I don't have personal experience with them. Most of them are free in Google or Play Stores (whatever is on your phone). Just click where it tells you to download or install and then you'll have your mental health app at your fingertips.
 Operation Reach Out: This app was designed to aid suicide prevention (free iOS and Android)
 PTSD Coach: This app is linked directly to support services and helps deal with specific issues  (free for iOS and Android, also available on the web to download)
 Stop! Breathe! Think!: This app helps cultivate mindfulness to reduce stress (free iOS & Android)
 Mindshift: This app is for anxiety management (free iOS and Android)
*This isn't a full list, so check the websites and maybe Google some additional things if interested.

3. Support Groups:
     I have seen postings around my small town for support groups for Alcoholics Anonymous, Narcotics Anonymous, and general substance abuse, but I haven't seen any for mental health conditions. You can Google services like that in your area, or check with your local community health organization. Support groups are free, usually informal, usually with a non-therapist (just a regular person) leading discussions about whatever the specified issue is for the group.

4. Workbooks:
     Workbooks aren't free, but you can get them for pretty cheap prices on websites like Amazon. On Kindle or tablets some books are as cheap as $0.99. Others that come in hardcopy format are under $30, and used for $10 and under. They have workbooks for OCD, Anxiety, Depression (including teen and Bipolar depression), eating disorders, ADHD, personality disorders, and PTSD. All you have to do is search Amazon and pick the right workbook for you.
     I used a workbook to help with my OCD (a practice outside of therapy sort of thing), and it helped me more than I thought it would. I read the workbook, did some of the thought-centered exercises, and it changed the way I thought about my OCD completely. It wasn't a fast or easy process, but I still recommend trying a workbook if you can't afford a therapist.

5. Websites:
     Websites can also be a good resource if you can't afford a therapist. Some have an online forum or chat for mental health-related topics, and some are just to help you gain information.
 OK2TALK: For teens and young adults dealing with mental illness, an online forum to share personal stories and provide support.
 Trevor Space: For members of the LGBT community to share stories and support.
 IMAlive: An online crisis chat staffed by trained and supervised volunteers across the country.

If you just want information check out these resources:
 International OCD Foundation
 National Alliance on Mental Illness AKA NAMI (can provide you with a list of resources. They  also have Pinterest boards!)
 MentalHealth.gov
 National Institute of Mental Health
 National Eating Disorders Association of America
 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration

     I'll end with this: If you can't afford a therapist, and you're struggling, please, don't think that it'll never get better. Check out some other resources like workbooks, help lines, mobile phone apps, and online chats. Help is out there, and it's very cheap or free, if you look in the right places. If you don't know how to look, ask someone. You can even ask me.

The websites I used:
1.http://greatist.com/grow/resources-when-you-can-not-afford-therapy
2. http://rumpfcounseling.com/blog/2015/6/8/apps-for-mental-health
3. https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment