Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Dealing with Anxiety in Public

     I'm just sitting at a table waiting for the dinner that I ordered. A door slams. I hear yelling in the kitchen. A toddler over at the next table is screaming. People are talking loudly to be heard over all the other noise. Maybe I'm already trying to manage my anxiety that day because I've been having a particularly bad day due to my OCD intrusive thoughts. My anxiety is quickly climbing to the level that usually means the tears are going to start flowing. I'm in public, and realizing that only adds to my anxiety. I feel a panic attack looming. What will everyone think? I CANNOT have a panic attack in public, in front of all these strange people.
     The scenario I depicted above is one that I still find myself in at least once a month. I go somewhere, and I'm perfectly fine the whole time I'm in the car. Then I get inside (movie theater, restaurant, shopping mall, store crammed with people, or the grocery store around a holiday when people frantically hurry from one aisle to the next), and something makes my anxiety skyrocket. Suddenly, I feel like I can't breathe, the tears come, and I'm about to be in full-on panic. This sort of thing happens at home sometimes, too, but it always seems so much worse when I'm out in public.
     I used to just suck it up as best I could while I was in public. I vowed that I would behave as normally as possible no matter what. This just made the anxiety worse, and I would usually push myself right into a panic attack because I was so aware of my body and the anxiety symptoms.
     I showed up for a therapy appointment not too long ago in a state of heightened anxiety, trying to force myself not to have a panic attack. I had been trying the deep breathing exercises like I was supposed to. I had even tried the grounding technique that I was familiar with. I was still on the verge of panic. Then my therapist taught me a new grounding technique that worked. She called it Being Like a Dog, but in my mind I refer to it as Zoning In because that makes more sense to me. I use it all the time now because it doesn't require movement or any objects that I would have to carry around. It also doesn't require the deep breathing, but you can do that, too, if you want. I also chew gum when I get very anxious, but you don't have to do that.

Being Like a Dog (AKA Zoning In):
     You're basically zoning in on each of your senses, one at a time. It gets you to focus on things outside of yourself and your anxiety symptoms. It also makes you focus on the present moment, what's around you right now. It's unnoticeable to everyone around me, so I like it especially for when I feel panicked in public. You can say these things to yourself or a friend, or you can type them in your phone notepad, or write them down. (I usually silently say them to myself.)
     1. What do you hear? Ex. right now I hear my fan humming and the TV in the next room.
     2. What do you see? Ex. I see my orange blanket, coffee cup, and the sun in my window.
     3. What do you feel? Ex. I feel the breeze from my fan, and my warm coffee cup in my hand.
     4. What do you smell? Ex. I smell coffee and lavender.
     5. What do you taste? Ex. I taste the coffee I'm drinking. (Gum, your food at the restaurant, ect.)

     I may have to repeat this a few times, depending on how much anxiety I'm dealing with. You can repeat as many times as you need to. It's okay if you don't have something going on for all five of your senses. Maybe it's quiet wherever you are or you don't smell or taste anything, but you should still include all 5 senses in your list each time.
     I'll end with this: Experiencing an anxiety attack in public can feel worse than the ones you experience at home. Holding it all in and pretending to be perfectly fine can make it worse. Just remember: odds are in your favor that no one is watching you at all (let alone to see if you're normal or anything like that). The grounding technique I mentioned above is a wonderful thing, but I'm definitely not saying that is the ONLY tool to manage your anxiety in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment