Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Coping with Feeling Trapped and Alone

     We're all in a period of high stress at the moment, and so we're all carrying extra things right now. We're all extra-stressed. A lot of us are probably afraid, if not for ourselves then for loved ones that are vulnerable to illness or considered essential workers. A lot of us are feeling unsettled because of the sudden changes to our routines, like the sudden shift to learning and working from home or even being completely off work right now. On top of that, we're unable to do the things we might normally do to cope with or escape from that extra stress like going to a movie, going out to lunch with friends, or inviting friends over for a night in. 
     It's so easy for everyone, even those with completely healthy brains, to feel alone right now. Feeling alone and isolated with no way to escape it can be an even bigger concern for those of us with mental health conditions. I know that I use being around other people as a way to escape my OCD sometimes when my home environment feels "tainted" by my anxiety. There have been times when I've been home all week and dealing with particularly high anxiety, I find myself thinking, "If I can just hang in there until the weekend, then my mom and I will do something fun, and I'll be out of this tainted place. I know I'll be fine if I can just be somewhere else for a bit, with other people." 
     I even had to talk with my therapist about this at my last appointment. I was worried that being forced to stay at home with what felt like no escape would make it easier for me to get back to the period pre-therapy that I refer to as The Dark Time. (It happened before during a high stress period during Christmas break right after my first semester of college, when I wasn't busy, wasn't going a lot of places to fill up the time, and it was utterly terrifying.)
     My therapist suggested some things that could be helpful if the isolation felt like it was becoming too much. She asked me if I was able to get sunlight. Sunlight is not only important to physical health because of vitamin D, but it's also important to mental health because sunlight is thought to increase the release of serotonin, which can boost mood and help us feel calm and focused. We might not be allowed to go to public swimming pools and public outdoor places, but we can go out onto our porches, our yards (if you have on), and we can open a window to let sunlight in.
     My therapist also suggested that I could try to connect with people more during this time. So, I try to text with my friends more. I even try to be more active on social media to share fun things with those same friends to break up the negativity that seems to be overpowering everything else. My god-sister arranges Skype dates for herself and her girlfriend and they literally just Skype each other while they watch movies or TV. If you don't have access to internet or a cellphone, you can always call with a landline (yes, some people still have those). I've seen some people sitting in their own yards while their neighbor sits in their yard (with the recommended safe distance between them, of course), and they just drink tea or coffee or beer together or gossip across property lines.
     I know, given the state of emergency, mental health care from an emergency room might not be possible at the moment. I know many people, adults and children, are trapped at home with an abuser. I know members of the LGBT community are trapped at home with family that isn't supportive and may even be abusive. Crisis lines are still operating during this time. Please, if you're feeling too stressed or like your mental health condition might be spiraling, feel like you might harm yourself, or if you fear for your safety call a crisis line. US numbers are listed below.

1. The National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
2. Crisis Text Line: text HELLO to 741741
3. Youthline (for kids ages 11 to 21): Call: 1-877-968-8491 or text Teen2Teen to 839863
4. The Trevor Project: call 1-866-488-7386 or text START to 678678
5. Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860
6. The National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233
7. RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network): 1-800-656-4673

     I'll end with this: It's so easy for all of us, particularly those of us that struggle with mental health conditions that use public places as a way to cope or escape, to feel alone and/or trapped right now. If getting some extra sunlight and reaching out more to friends and family to feel connected don't help, please call a crisis line. If you have a therapist, it's also okay to call them between sessions if you need to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment